Edge Computing basically refers to the process of data being collected, stored and analyzed at the ‘edge’ of the network where the original data is generated. In contrast to cloud-based methods of data being collected, stored, and analyzed on servers or Edge Computing basically refers to the process of data being collected, stored and analyzed at the ‘edge’ of the network where the original data is generated. In contrast to cloud-based methods of data being collected, stored, and analyzed on servers or centralized data centers. While edge computing is not a commonly used phrase today, it will become a central part of the technology landscape over the next few years. This is a result of the sheer volume of data being processed, largely through the increased use of Internet of Things (IoT) devices, of which there will be over 50 billion in use by 2020. As a result, there is an increasing need for more computing power and data storage. the more; this in turn drives the need for companies to invest in data centers or ‘edge’ computing sites. These data centers will bear little physical resemblance to the large, centralized data centers we see in a typical corporate environment. They will have the ability to be managed and automated remotely, as they are likely to be on a site with little, or no IT personnel.
: Main benefits
2. User experience
ADVANTAGES OF EDGE COMPUTING:
- Significantly lowers data volume, traffic and distance thereby reducing transmission costs, reducing latency, and improving service quality.
- Reducing the core computing environment, eliminating major bottlenecks and failures.
- Security is increased as data is encrypted as it makes its way to the network core. Data is checked as it passes through the firewall, where viruses, data errors and crackers can be caught early.
- The ability to virtualize extends scalability. The user is a company that wants a linear scale of application performance against a growing customer base.
- Fulfilling the need for rapid analysis, for example to check engine performance.